If you have trouble uninstalling CouponDropDown which got installed on your PC stealthily, please have a look at the removal instructions of CouponDropDown this post. The post shows you some information of the unwanted program and provides you step-by-step guide to removing the program completely.
What is CouponDropDown?
CouponDropDown is an application which claims to find all the coupons you need automatically while you shop. It displays coupons available for the site you’re browsing at the bottom of your browser so as to save you time and money when you shop online. This app can be compatible with browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
It sounds like a great tool to computer users to save up a lot of money if they have a coupon every time they check out. However, this application often gets installed on the PC in a tricky way. Sometimes it doesn’t appear in the Control Panel so that people can’t uninstall it from the machines by the common method. Thus, it is considered as a potentially unwanted program. This ad-supported app is usually installed as a browser plug-in or extension. It works for thousands of merchants and is able to show you numerous coupons when you’re on a site. In addition to the available coupons, it may also display other types of ads including but not limited to sponsored links, traditional display advertisements, video targeted ads and offers to download and install other applications on the websites you visit and affect your browsing experience. The sponsored links may sometimes appear as in-text advertising (ads displayed by converting a particular word(s) into a hyperlink). The coupons and ads are often marked with “(ad) by CouponDropDown” and shown as boxes.
Below are some coupons and ads brought by the adware:
Anyway, the app may bring potential threats to your PC and slow down the computer performance. It is not suggested that you leave it on the system. If you don’t know how to remove CouponDropDown, follow the instructions as the below will show and you can fix this issue effectively.
How did CouponDropDown get installed on your computer?
This tool is available on its official site: coupondropdown.com. If you ever downloaded it from this site by yourself, you may have been regretful for this. But usually this type of potentially unwanted program come bundled with other free applications on the Internet. Many developers of freeware usually use adware to recover development costs. They have such adware bundled in the installers of freeware/shareware. If you don’t pay attention to the installation process of a new piece of software, it’s quite easy for such unwanted ad-supported programs to enter the PC. The apps listed below often have the adware bundled in their installers.
To prevent from installing unwanted programs like CouponDropDown in the future, you’d better download software created by reputable companies from reliable websites. Don’t choose the quick/recommended/typical installation to save a bit of time. Always select the custom/advanced installation to uncheck the additional items that you don’t need during the installing process. Watch out for each step of the installation of the software and don’t let the unwanted applications enter your PC or make changes on your browsers.
CouponDropDown removal instructions (step-by-step guide)
Option1: Automatically remove CouponDropDown with professional anti-malware software
If the adware doesn’t provide the uninstall feature, you won’t find it in the list of installed programs in Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs or can’t remove it even if it is listed there. You may consider deleting the files and registry info of the adware manually to uninstall it. How to find and delete all of the relevant files of the adware?
In this case, a powerful malware removal tool is the best choice. A good anti-malware program is able to detect and clear all the threats including Trojans, rootkits, adware, spyware, etc. When you are experiencing such a nasty adware which doesn’t allow you to remove it from PC, please use an excellent anti-malware program like SpyHunter, Malwarebytes or Max Spyware Detector to scan the PC and then delete the adware thoroughly. Any of them is able to free scan your computer for the adware and clear it within minutes. Follow the steps below to install the tool you prefer and then eliminate the annoying adware with it.
- Download SpyHunter on your PC by clicking on the icon below.
- SpyHunter will launch automatically and you need to update both the version of DB version and the product version to the latest. Then click on Scan Computer Now button to scan your computer for malware. The tool starts to scan your computer for threats.
- When the scan has completed, select all of the threats detected and click Fix Threats button to remove them.
Please note that you need to register for the full version of SpyHunter so as to completely get rid of CouponDropDown as well as other threats to protect your PC. The tool only enables you to free scan the system for malware.
1. Download Malwarebytes by clicking on the icon below. (It will redirect you to the official site of Malwarebytes.)
- Once the file is downloaded, right click on it and select Run to start the installation. Follow Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard to install Malwarebytes. Keep clicking on Next button by following the prompts to complete the installation. Click Finish button when Malwarebytes is completely installed. You can choose to let the tool run automatically after you click on Finish button.
- When the tool launches, a small pop-up stating Databases Out of Date appears on the screen. You just click on Update Now to update the database. The message “a scan has never been run on your system” also shows up there. After the database is updated, you can click on the Scan Now button to start a system scan.
- Malwarebytes will start to scan your system for CouponDropDown and other threats. This will take a few minutes.
- When the scan is finished, all the infected files are listed in the Threat Scan Results. Check all of them and click on Remove Selected button
- When all selected items have been deleted, your computer needs a reboot to complete the removal process. Click on Yes button.
Max Spyware Detector
- Double click on the Max Spyware Detector Download Manager icon and click on Run button to download Spyware Detector. Once downloaded, Max Spyware Detector starts the installation process. Just follow the prompts of Max Spyware Detector Setup Wizard to complete the installation. During the process the tool will launch system Directory automatically to check compatibility.
- Once installed, Max Spyware Detector runs a quick scan automatically. You will also be prompted to click on Live Update button to update the tool to the latest version. It will take several minutes for Spyware Detector to complete the system scan.
- When the scan is finished, click on Fix Issues Now button to remove the threats found.
Option2: Manually delete programs and files of the adware
Step1- Uninstall CouponDropDown or related programs from Windows
If the adware appears in the Control Panel and provides you the uninstall feature, just follow the steps below to remove it from the PC.
Click on the Windows button in the bottom-left corner of your screen, click on Settings in the Start Menu, click on System and click on the Apps & Features menu item. Find and click on the adware program and click Uninstall button. Then click on Uninstall in the pop-up if you are sure you want to remove it from the PC.
Press Windows key + X key and click on Programs and Features in the pop-up menu. In the programs and Features window, search for CouponDropDown and click on Uninstall button.
Click on the Start button and select Control Panel. Click on Uninstall a program link under Programs category. Search for the adware and click on Uninstall button. Follow the prompts to complete the removal.
Click on Start button and go to Control Panel. Double click on Add/Remove Programs and select the adware program then click on Remove button to remove it.
Step2- Disable CouponDropDown or other add-ons in your IE/Chrome/Mozilla Firefox
- Click on Tools (or the IE menu icon in the upper-right corner) and then click on Manage Add-ons.
- Select Tools and Extensions on the left and then select the adware add-on and click Remove button.
- Click on the Chrome menu icon on the top right corner and locate to More Tools and click on Extensions.
- Select the adware extension and click on the trash icon next to it to remove it from the Chrome.
- Click on Tools (or the Firefox menu button on the top right corner) and then click on Add-ons in the pull-down menu.
- Find the adware add-on and click on Remove button to delete it.
Note: In addition to CouponDropDown, the following add-ons can also cause numerous pop-up ads to your system. If you find any of them on the browser add-on manager page, please remove it immediately.
Step3- Reset IE/Chrome/Firefox to default settings (Optional)
If the previous steps can’t get rid of the adware from your browser, you can reset the browser settings to default values to fix the issue. This may help solve the browser problems caused by adware and other malware. Follow the steps below to reset the browser. Please note that all your passwords, bookmarks and other personalized data including your custom settings may be lost after restoring the default settings of the browser.
Click on Tools (or the IE menu icon in the upper-right corner) and click on Internet Options.
Click on Advanced tab and click on Reset button.
Tick the checkbox of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button. Your IE will be restored to default settings.
Click on Close button when the reset has completed.
Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome button on the top right and click on Settings.
Type reset settings in the search box and then click Reset settings button in the search results.
In the pop-up window, you just click on Reset button to restore your Chrome to defaults.
Click on Help and click on Troubleshooting Information. Or click on the Firefox Open menu icon and click on Help (the question mark icon). In the Help menu, you click on Troubleshooting Information.
Click on Refresh Firefox button when the Troubleshooting Information page opens.
Click on Refresh Firefox button in the pop-up window to make sure the reset.
If you can’t find CouponDropDown in the Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs and don’t know how to delete it, you need to use a powerful anti-malware program to help uninstall the adware. Since the potentially unwanted programs sometimes can evade the detection of many regular scanners, we recommend several professional and excellent security tools like SpyHunter, Malwarebytes or Max Spyware Detector to you. Any of them can scan your PC for the threats and completely get rid of the threats found with unique and advanced technologies. When you encounter similar adware like CouponDropDown or other types of malware, follow the guide in this post to deal with it and the issue should be solved soon.
The following video offers a complete guide for CouponDropDown adware removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!